Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Brag aBout! - Andrea

Hello Tiffany, here’s my form!

My precious child Gavin Stevenson Holmes, was born at 37 weeks and 6 days on September 14, 2010. My pregnancy went great, with some high blood pressure. We had been tested and tested with blood work and 4D ultrasounds at least once a month to try to calm my fears of the possibility of DS, as I was 38 years old. My husband and I had two miscarriages (including 3 babies) during the 18 months prior to the arrival of Gavin. We were so hopeful but knew nothing would change our love for this precious boy! Things turned from good to very bad the night he was delivered, as my O2 sat dropped from a BAD epidural and Gavin’s heart rate dropped to 38! After being rushed to surgery for a c-section, Gavin was born at 5:35 am, after 12 ½ hours of labor. I begged and pleaded with everyone to tell me the truth (even the good doc) that my son was ok and normal. It wasn’t until 2 hours later that the pediatrician came in holding Gavin and explained to us the diagnosis of what I thought would devastate me as a mother.

Gavin was born with Down Syndrome, PDA, VSD, tracheomalacia, laryngomalacia and total hearing loss. Not only did this beautiful baby have a rough road ahead of him, he couldn’t hear Mom and Dad. Keep in mind that I am a very “pushy” and stubborn parent and will not take no for an answer. Gavin was started immediately in occupational therapy and also had hearing test once per month. At the age of 2 months and 3 weeks I begged the most experienced ENT in town to please put tubes in my baby. Reluctantly he agreed when I knew he wanted to run very far away from me. On December 30, 2010 Gavin had tubes placed and woke up from surgery with full hearing, while his Mommy rocked him awake in the recovery room. All the nurses wanted to know what on earth I told the doctor to get him to do the surgery, I was just persistent, but realized that Gavin quite possibly has opened doors for many other children to hear and not get developmentally behind! How cool is that? You can see the results of his surgery on YouTube at “Gavin Can Hear”. It was so amazing to see the happiness that sound brought to this child!

Gavin continues now to have occupational therapy twice per month. He has surpassed all his milestones so far with flying colors. He sleeps 9-10 hours a night, and rarely cries. We have our 6 month follow-up with the cardiologist next Tuesday and expect an A-OK that his PDA and VSD has repaired itself. Gavin has truly been a gift from God to Mom, Dad and the entire family. If someone would had told me that 100% without a doubt I would have had a DS baby one year ago I would have cried and thought it was the end of the world. Now today, I can never see myself anything but being Gavin’s Mommy. I am so excited to watch as he develops and amazes all of us in his journey.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Andrea,
    You are an excellent mom and I am so proud of the way you advocated for little Gavin. You have shown that "Mama knows best" and now Gavin can hear. A whole new world form him to hear his mama's sweet voice and the world around him. Congratulations on Gavin!--Anna, mother of Ellie 17 months (DS, PFO, mild hearing loss, gastric paresis)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing story!! Glad you stuck to your guns, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete