Wednesday, October 12, 2011

31 for 21: #12 Baby Mine

Elise is home sick today.  So the stand-by favorite has been broken out.  Dumbo.  NOT my favorite.  Well, not until recently.  I didn't like Dumbo as a kid, it gave me ulcers and made me panic even THINKING of being taken from my mother.  I'm very serious.

It has been Elise's favorite movie since the very beginning.  She ADORES Dumbo.  I've seen it a billion-zillion times.  Not even kidding.  As I watched it the 40 millionth time, I realized it was a very parallel story to having a child with special needs.  The different-ness of her compared to her peers...and yet the very same-ness, too.  The shock of the surrounding community of the "funny" characteristics of my child, separating her from "normal".  Their indignant defense of their reactions.  Her trying to fit in.  The ostracism.  The sadness.  The vehement defense of my child by me, as a mother.  The eventual acceptance of my child by big-hearted people sprinkled throughout her life.  The hope of  rising her to success.  The praying for her triumph over her disabilities.

See what I'm saying??

So, you'd THINK I'd have registered the lyrics to "Baby Mine", Dumbo's Lullaby, right?  Yeah, today, being pinned down by my sickie babies, I registered it and boo-hoo-ed through it.  Filled my heart right to the top.

Baby Mine

"Baby mine, don't you cry
Baby mine, Dry your eyes
Rest your head close to my heart
Never to part, baby of mine

Little one, when you play
Don't you mind what they say
Let those eyes sparkle and shine
Never a tear, baby of mine

If they knew sweet little you
They'd end up loving you too
All those same people who scold you
What they'd give just for the
right to hold you

From your head down to your toes
You're not much, goodness knows
But you're so precious to me
Sweet as can be, baby of mine

All of those people who scold you
What they'd give just for the
right to hold you

From your head down to your toes
You're not much, goodness knows
But you're so precious to me
Sweet as can be, baby of mine
Baby of mine"

Allison Krauss is one of my all-time favorite artists...imagine my pleasure to discover that she's covered "Baby Mine"!!  Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. <3 Love Allison Krauss! I haven't seen that movie in years! Now I'm crying...I think I'll be singing this to Reagan every night now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a major bedtime song in our house; and still is when The Boy is sick (don't tell any of his friends)and needs some TLC. I always loved the Bette Midler rendition. This one is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete