Wednesday, October 24, 2012

31 for 21: Better Than It Looks: Time

Article of Evidence #8, I've got more time.

Well, sort of.  I probably have less time in my day than I used to, but...

Tomorrow is Elise's 10th birthday.  Ethan told her to enjoy her "last day of being 9 today"...and we both laughed...and I said the usual, "Can you believe she is going into the double digits?" And we got to talking...yes, I am hyer-aware of how old she is.  She has packed a lot of living and stress into these last 10 years. 

We are much more aware of every single milestone she has had the privilege of hitting.  We had to fight for every single one.  Not one has been on time for our Elise.

Most kids, you expect for them to hit milestones, and get a little worried if they don't...by days or weeks...we fight tooth-and-nail for them by YEARS.

With typical kids, you find yourself, 3 years later, realizing that you really rushed your kids through growing up and "it went way too fast."  I find myself more than a little bit thankful for the awareness of the importance of the milestones... I am not cavalier with Elise's development, or even my subsequent kids...I have become increasingly thankful for each and every one that is hit...

I am really serious.  It is an interesting place of awareness to live.  And I kinda like it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I keep feeling like my Ellie has grown up so fast (yes, I know. . . she is only 3yo), but then I realize that Ellie got to be more "in the baby stage" longer. In having only one child, I appreciate this more. Plus, each and every milestone, each and every word is celebrated. I cannot believe Elise is going to be 10yo!

    ReplyDelete